The following Code of Conduct for New Zealand Judges was adopted by the
2014 Annual General Meeting of the NZDJA.
- Judges, as experienced members of the Dog world, shall at all times act with courtesy, professional integrity and complete impartiality and, by their actions, act as an example to other New Zealand Kennel Club members.
- Judges shall demonstrate a sound knowledge of anatomy, New Zealand Kennel Club Rules and Regulations and all relevant breed standards.
- Judges shall be seen to be honest and have integrity in all their dealings relating to judging.
- Judges must be impartially evaluate each dog they judge and award each animal the appropriate placing relative to the written NZKC standard, regardless of the dogs record, advertisement, friendship, or any other consideration.
- Judges must not solicit judging appointments nor seek entry or cancellation of any particular dog.
- Judges shall at all times be suitably dressed and groomed when judging.
- Judges when exhibiting shall by their demeanour and sporting behaviour, set an example to other exhibitors.
- Judges shall not criticize by act or word the work of other judges, nor offer criticism of any previously judged dog (s) to anyone including other officiating judges during the course of the show. Except for authorised ringside mentoring.
- Social Media: Discretion must be used at all times. Judges should refrain from offering criticism of any dogs, judging or other judges on any of the social networks.
- If a judge has judged with a panel of judges at one or more Championship Shows, whether in New Zealand or overseas, they must not handle any dog or bitch under any of those judges for a period of 28 days after any such event. (Junior Showmanship and Young Kennel Club heats and finals, Ribbon Parades and Open Shows excluded).
- Except in unavoidable circumstances, judges shall honour all contracts and be punctual when fulfilling judging assignments.
- A judge who withdraws from any contracted appointment for any reason shall not be permitted to judge or attend any other canine event wherever held on any date that would prevent him/her from attending the originally contracted event, unless written dispensation has been granted by the contracting club.
- Judges must not smoke in the ring or the immediate vicinity and abide by Government Regulations regarding smoking.